In India the wine industry is young and still need to figure what grapes and wine making styles do best in our near-tropical climate? As such, the quality of Indian wines is still evolving – and improving every year.
Unlike the straight jacket French-style of classifications, the wine growing regions or the wines in India are not classified to distinguish quality or a certain region. Most wine lovers in India just have an idea or the name of the estates or winery. But who are the most consistent producers and which of their wines are the best performers?
To find the answers, 8 experts picked India’s Finest Wines, the selection which was carried out by the most important and well-regarded wine professionals and opinion leaders on the Indian and international wine scene who hand picked the best of whites, reds, sparkling and dessert wines for their distinct style, flavour characteristics and wine making process.
The two day long blind tasting took place on 16th-17th October at the Royal Bomaby Yacht Club,Mumbai, India.
The event initiated by the organisers of the Mumbai Wine Festival and the Mumbai Wine Club appointed an independent jury for its selection process.
Not beating around the bush too much, wine connoisseurs rejoice, for we have a list of 25 best wines in India.
1) Domaine Chandon India- Chandon Brut Rose (Pinot Noir, Syrah) 2013
2) Seagram’s Nine Hills Chenin Blanc 2014
3) KRSMA Estates Chardonnay 2013
4) SDU Winery- SDU Deva Chardonnay Reserve 2013
5) Seagram’s Nine Hills Viognier2012
6) Grover Zampa Sauvignon Blanc2014
7) Charosa Vineyards Selections Sauvignon Blanc Charosa Valley 2013
8) Sula Vineyards Rose (Zinfandel) 2014
9)Vallonne Vineyards Rose (Cabernet Sauvignon) 2013
10) SDU Syrah Reserve 2012
11) Vallonne Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Classique 2011 (Reserve)
12) Charosa Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve 2012
13) Big Banyan Limited Shiraz (2010)
14) Fratelli Sangiovese 2013
15) Reveilo Sangiovese 2013
16) SDU Cabernet Sauvignon 2013
17) York Winery Shiraz 2012
18) Vallonne Vineyards Merlot 2012
19) SDU Shiraz 2013
20) Grover Zampa-Grover La Reserve (Cab Sauv, Shiraz) 2012
21) FratelliSette (Cabernet Sauvignon, Sangiovese, Cabernet Franc)2010
22) York Winery – Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot 2012
23) Grover Zampa-Zampa Chene Grand Reserve (Tempranillo, Syrah) 2012
24) Vallonne Vineyards Vin de Passerillage 2013
25) Sula Vineyards Late Harvest Chenin Blanc 2013
Here’s hoping you know which one to pick the next time you go wine shopping. I know I am not undecided any more! Cheers!